Sunday, July 31, 2011

Garlic Kale with pine nuts - budget friendly dinner

I've been writing quite a bit lately. Between publications, book stuff and the biiiiiiig paper, I haven't been hitting the gym as much. I used to go for 2 hours a day. Now I sit in one position, and putter about looking for grants and whatnot. This is the recipe I go to on the days when I'm pretty sure I blew my calorie allowance by noon.

I think I came across this recipe during my running days. It's iron rich and filled with fiber - all things runners need. It's pretty simple

2 Tbsp olive oil
2-4 gloves of garlic diced
1 bunch of kale
2 Tbsp of pine nuts
2 Tbsp of dried cranberries
2-4 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste.

Heat the oil on medium heat. Add the garlic and wait until it is almost brown before adding the kale. I usually cover for 2 minutes while the kale cooks down. Take the cover off and let the kale cook for 3-4 more minutes. Add the pine nuts and cranberries. cook for a minute. Add balsamic and cook until the kale starts to turn brown. Take off the heat and season to taste.

I sometimes eat this with a little chunk of bread or pasta and a poached egg on top. Cost comes to about $5 for two people. Done and done.

No comments: